Self-Development Forum
September 24, 2017, 08:28:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TIP! Shrink this header down to the logo by clicking the minus sign image (top right).

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lunchtimes - I just want a bit of space  (Read 4081 times)
Sueblue
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2011, 01:54:43 PM »

I usually sit at my desk to have my lunch, because it's the one chance I have during the day to take a good look at the Internet. It annoys me when colleagues stand near my desk when I'm eating my lunch, don't put two and two together that I'm on my break, and go stand or sit somewhere else. For example, our department post often doesn't come till the middle of the day, and the tray where the postroom put it is on the cabinets near my desk. It is irritating when one colleague in particular stands there opening the post not three feet from where I'm eating and won't take a hint.

I suppose it comes down to those old personality types again. I guess an extrovert (who being in the majority have successfully touted their own characteristics as "normal"), wouldn't be bothered by this. I can last for an entire working day in an open-plan office so long as I get that break where it's just me, a sandwich and the Internet and I can have my own headspace.

Not asking for a solution, just letting off some steam.
Pretty Damsel

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 02:18:28 AM »

Well sueblue, i have felt the same way before and I understand what you're going through

For fast acting relief visit:
Depression Help
adambenedetto

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 06:12:59 PM »

I understand too.  It is important that you get a true break.  I hope that you feel like you really have space at that time soon. 

Receive answers about your journey toward enlightenment, your destiny, and becoming your true self at Answersinwriting.com
KathyT

Glad to be here!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:38:26 PM »

I hear you on this one! You have my sympathies... When I was in a certain company a while back, everyone was expected to gather at precisely the same time for lunch - and we were ALL supposed to eat around the same table (it was a fairly small place with only about 10 employees that were on site regularly).

It drove me nuts! I wasn't into the lunchroom conversations which typically centered around who was ejected from whatever reality show they were all watching. I don't even HAVE a TV back at home - so I was clueless about what they talked about. All I wanted to do was have some quiet and read my book for the 1/2 hour we had.

I definitely did not fit in there - and even though I never said anything about it, it must have been clear that I wasn't into it since I couldn't contribute to the conversations.

Ahhh... This is the first time that I'VE vented on this topic! Smiley

Hugs...
Kath

Hi! I Wrote a Goal Setting Guide that is Free For Everyone!
I had a LOT of fun writing it & hope you enjoy reading it & my newsletters.
Come meet me at http://www.SelfDevelopmentStrategies.com
Also, my blog is up & running! http://www.SelfDevelopmentAndGrowth.com
Thank you for visiting! Smiley
Jason Field

Let's help find the light to life for the needy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 09:30:04 AM »

I understand this too, as I'm quite a loner and introvert myself.

Don't worry, you are not alone on this.

Become a Confident and Beautiful Woman!

http://www.skintosoulbeauty.com/
Sueblue
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 01:30:31 PM »

We had a temp in these last couple of weeks to help clear some of the filing backlog and they put her in the spare seat next to me. I hate people walking past the back of my chair, but if it's only one person, and generally they sit down at their desk and do their work, it's not too much of a distraction.

Well, this temp was in and out like a fiddler's elbow, which was one thing. Then she asked our archivist if she could work through lunch every day so she could go home early on Friday afternoon, and the archivist said yes. So every day while everyone else was outside enjoying the sunshine during the lunch break, and I was hoping for some quiet surfing time while I ate, I had this woman shuffling papers on the next desk the entire time. If she doesn't want to take a break that's her problem, but was it too much to ask for her to go and work round the corner by the filing cabinets for that 30 minutes so I could get some privacy?

Sheesh.  Angry
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: