Self-Development Forum
December 15, 2017, 04:39:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TIP! Shrink this header down to the logo by clicking the minus sign image (top right).

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: when do you accept friend requests?  (Read 4304 times)
Jason Field

Let's help find the light to life for the needy.

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 17, 2010, 10:09:33 AM »

On Facebook?

In the world of the Internet, you have to be wary of scams, spams, swindlers, etc. Even afecbook is not exempted even if it;s just soecial network.

my question is, when do you accept friend requests? Thanks

Become a Confident and Beautiful Woman!

http://www.skintosoulbeauty.com/
ShelaghD

Make life happen!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 03:58:21 PM »

Its a tricky one, Jason, although it really depends on the reason you joined it.  If you want to make new friends then you have to take the chance that occasionally you might get someone who's not all they appear to be.  On the other hand, you can just allow people into your inner circle who you know for sure and if you're not certain, then e-mail them and ask them to confirm separately that they've invited you. 

If you want to keep your security tight the best thing is not to join it at all.  Its the only way to be 100% safe, but then if you're being 100% safe in life its pretty boring. To the best of my knowledge FB is about as safe as any social networking site but there are always mistakes, and they've made a few. 

Make sure you review your privacy settings carefully to ensure no-one can access your wall, photos or info etc unless they are a friend.  I've noticed a lot of people who think they're safe have left access to the Wall open to friends of friends or anyone. 

Don't worry about rejecting people, they don't get a nasty note from FB telling them what's happened.  Most people who are sensible know that rejecting someone isn't personal. 

For me I tend to let more people join my network because I enjoy meeting new people and its useful for business purposes.  Occasionally I'll "cull" friends I don't know personally and have less contact with.  However, I'm pretty careful what I say and what information I include about myself.  The rule of thumb is never ever say anything you wouldn't shout across a room full of people including all your worst enemies, your boss, a local burglar, an identity thief etc. 

I guess if you're letting anyone join your inner circle you should be aware that information on FB can contribute towards someone stealing your identity so its a risk you have to decide to take.  Tell them as little as possible. 

I don't know if this has been any help and I'm sure others have more informed advice.  In the meantime if you or anyone else reading this wants to join me on FB, you're very welcome.  Look for Shelagh Dillon in Edinburgh or my page which is called Felicitas Life Coach.

Don't let life happen to you, make it happen for you!

Shelagh Dillon  www.FelicitasLifeCoach.com  

Find me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/felicitaslifecoach for daily inspiration with light hearted approach
Pretty Damsel

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:34:55 AM »

I only accept friend requests if i really know the person. Because there are some people who just add you as friend regardless if you know him or her or if they know you or not.

For fast acting relief visit:
Depression Help
KathyT

Glad to be here!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »

Since I'm fairly new at using Facebook, I tend to NOT accept friendship requests that do not include a personal message. In other words, I want to know why someone wants me to "friend" them to begin with.

And conversely, as I find individuals who may share my interests, if I ask THEM to be a friend, I ALWAYS add a note to them, explaining where/how I found them, and why I'm asking them to be a friend.

When I first began on Facebook, I accepted some people that I have since "un-friended" - (I note here parts of ShelaghD's quote which I think are quite important:
...occasionally you might get someone who's not all they appear to be ...

Make sure you review your privacy settings carefully to ensure no-one can access your wall, photos or info etc unless they are a friend.  I've noticed a lot of people who think they're safe have left access to the Wall open to friends of friends or anyone...

... However, I'm pretty careful what I say and what information I include about myself.  The rule of thumb is never ever say anything you wouldn't shout across a room full of people including all your worst enemies, your boss, a local burglar, an identity thief etc. 

I guess if you're letting anyone join your inner circle you should be aware that information on FB can contribute towards someone stealing your identity so its a risk you have to decide to take.  Tell them as little as possible. 

Thank you ShelaghD!

Smiley Kath

Hi! I Wrote a Goal Setting Guide that is Free For Everyone!
I had a LOT of fun writing it & hope you enjoy reading it & my newsletters.
Come meet me at http://www.SelfDevelopmentStrategies.com
Also, my blog is up & running! http://www.SelfDevelopmentAndGrowth.com
Thank you for visiting! Smiley
jmiguelx44

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 01:56:15 PM »

Since I'm fairly new at using Facebook, I tend to NOT accept friendship requests that do not include a personal message. In other words, I want to know why someone wants me to "friend" them to begin with.

And conversely, as I find individuals who may share my interests, if I ask THEM to be a friend, I ALWAYS add a note to them, explaining where/how I found them, and why I'm asking them to be a friend.

When I first began on Facebook, I accepted some people that I have since "un-friended" - (I note here parts of ShelaghD's quote which I think are quite important:
...occasionally you might get someone who's not all they appear to be ...

Make sure you review your privacy settings carefully to ensure no-one can access your wall, photos or info etc unless they are a friend.  I've noticed a lot of people who think they're safe have left access to the Wall open to friends of friends or anyone...

... However, I'm pretty careful what I say and what information I include about myself.  The rule of thumb is never ever say anything you wouldn't shout across a room full of people including all your worst enemies, your boss, a local burglar, an identity thief etc. 

Thank you ShelaghD!

Smiley Kath

Yes, you have every right to do that (and all of us FB users) since it's our accounts and we were just protecting ourselves. There are so many who have fallen victims of some individuals with bad motives just because of Facebook. That's why I realized that I don't confirm FB requests unless I personally know them or if we have mutual friends

Unlock The Potential Of Becoming An Expert Mind- And Body Language Reader
http://www.secretbodytalk.com/ (e-book version)  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Z9JQXU (kindle Version)
Pretty Damsel

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 05:09:20 PM »

Thanks to Facebook. You can adjust your privacy and account settings depending on your preferences.

For fast acting relief visit:
Depression Help
0 ranjith

FRIENDS ARE THE MESAURE OF A PERSON'S QUALITIES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 02:41:31 PM »

I don't believe in friendships over the net and never make any such friends. what is the need of them when we have true living beings in front of us?

A light hearted talk
Of expressions
Of friendship
Of love
And Of happiness.......
Read on my blog:
Everything had left….. but not a drop of tear was shed
-Written by  Ranjith
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: