Self-Development Forum
January 27, 2022, 02:33:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TIP! Shrink this header down to the logo by clicking the minus sign image (top right).

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Could you share some time management techniques please?  (Read 12099 times)
Alliday

View Profile Email
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:27:29 AM »

Maybe I am trying to bite off more than I can chew, but I just can't seem to find time for myself. All my time is spent working at home and working for pay... so when I will find time to read the books I love, learn a new language, write that novel, manage my blog, and so on and so forth. I will be happy to get some time management tips.
Mind Recipes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 10:17:07 AM »

I like to get up early in the mornings, and find I get so much done when there are no phone calls or other distractions. so whatever time you normally get up, why not try rising 1/2 to 1 hour earlier. It really makes a difference.

This was especially important to me when I had children living at home. This was "me time" - my time for myself

Another important thing I did was schedule time in my diary for whatever activity i wanted to do......just block out a period of time each week - no other appointments, and spend the time on the things you have been neglecting.

There are a multitude of time management books and courses, but I found the tips above were the most simple and effective for me.

"If your recipe sucks, it doesn't matter how good a cook you are" Timothy Ferriss - www.mindrecipes.com
josephlyanez

May I wish you your journey is full of discovery!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:18:22 PM »

Read "The Four Hour Work Week" by Timothy Ferris. Absolutely magnific

KathyT

Glad to be here!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 03:27:23 PM »

I have started getting up a little earlier (like Mind Recipes advises) lately - and it is true. Just that little extra bit turns my day into a far-more enriching one! Uh... except this morning, where it was pouring rain and still dark out, so I snuggled under the covers longer than I had intended to. Smiley

But, I have been making that effort, and it truly does make a difference.

Also, in response to Josephlyanez, that is the 2nd time in 2 days that I've heard someone recommend "The Four Hour Work Week" - so I'm taking that as a sign to get and read that book!
Smiley Kath

Hi! I Wrote a Goal Setting Guide that is Free For Everyone!
I had a LOT of fun writing it & hope you enjoy reading it & my newsletters.
Come meet me at http://www.SelfDevelopmentStrategies.com
Also, my blog is up & running! http://www.SelfDevelopmentAndGrowth.com
Thank you for visiting! Smiley
Mind Recipes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 08:14:13 PM »

I use one of Timothy's quotes for my tag line "If the Recipe Sucks it Doesn't Matter How Good A Cook You Are"

Another way of looking at this is “If your life rules are not working, it doesn’t matter how good a person you are!”

"If your recipe sucks, it doesn't matter how good a cook you are" Timothy Ferriss - www.mindrecipes.com
Pretty Damsel

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 07:55:21 AM »

I can advice you to read books and other stuffs during your work offs. Personally, I bond with my family, go mall strolling, watch movies, play with my kid and alike during weekends because saturdays and sundays are my off.

For fast acting relief visit:
Depression Help
rexsmith09

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 07:57:18 AM »

Early to rise and early to bed is the key to time management. Once, this is done, everything else will fall into place. Regarding reading books, you can spend sometime reading them at the bed time.

SEROVERA® is a GI-specific dietary supplement that has been used with great success by individuals with Colitis and Diverticulitis.
KathyT

Glad to be here!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 08:26:54 PM »

Since my last response, I have arrived at my winter quarters in South Carolina (USA) on the ocean. Every single day since we've arrived, we have gotten up around 6:00 am and begun our day with a walk. I don't know if it is the early-to-rise, the quiet early morning atmosphere, the walk - or a combination of both - but I must say that I'm DEFINITELY more productive.

Just wanted to post that update... We are shooting for getting up even earlier, but this has been a very good start! Oh - it is still dark when we get up, but for some reason it doesn't SEEM as dark as it did back home. Smiley

(I still need to get a copy of Ferris' book...)

Hi! I Wrote a Goal Setting Guide that is Free For Everyone!
I had a LOT of fun writing it & hope you enjoy reading it & my newsletters.
Come meet me at http://www.SelfDevelopmentStrategies.com
Also, my blog is up & running! http://www.SelfDevelopmentAndGrowth.com
Thank you for visiting! Smiley
Beyond Symbols

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 09:21:37 PM »

Maybe I am trying to bite off more than I can chew, but I just can't seem to find time for myself. All my time is spent working at home and working for pay... so when I will find time to read the books I love, learn a new language, write that novel, manage my blog, and so on and so forth. I will be happy to get some time management tips.

I make a list with my daily tasks, ordering them in terms of priority. If the list gets too long, it simply means I'm loosing focus and I won't be able to do everything planned. Then I look at what is not as urgent, i.e. it can be done in a reasonable amount of time rather than tomorrow. So, I plan some self-development tingie I would love to do. It doesn't work all the time, but you can try it out.

Healthy Living Magazine - reach health balance and family bliss. Health dangers are everywhere, e.g. do you know where dangerous bacteria hide?
Lou_1973

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 11:27:32 AM »

Hi Alliday & everyone,

I'm definitely not a morning person, so that rules out getting up earlier :-)

Here's what I do, and since I've started doing these things, I've never had a day where I wished that the day was even just 1 hour longer:

(1) I know this will sound crazy, until you try it:
--- Cut out TV entirely.
--- Rent/buy my favourite TV shows (I love CSI!) on DVD, then watch them at 20%-40% faster than normal speed.  I use "VLC Media Player" for this (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/)
--- You'd be surprised at how quickly your brain adapts to the faster playback speed, after the first 5-10 minutes, you're completely adapted and you don't miss a single word, facial expression or anything. 
--- The human mind can process like 4 billlion bits of sensory information a second anyway, so why not revv it up a bit, eh?
--- Doing this allows you to watch a 2-hour movie in 1.5 hours, or a 60-minute TV episode in 40 minutes. 
--- A nice side-effect is that it speeds up your thinking process for many hours afterwards, too.

(2) Use audiobooks wherever possible
--- I listen to audiobooks while driving. 
--- A person mostly drives on autopilot, because the subconscious mind controls the body while the conscious mind remains idle. 
--- A 30-minute drive to work, and 30 minutes back in the evening, times Monday to Friday, gives you 5 hours of quality listening time per week, which would otherwise have been wasted. 
--- This allows me to go through a 5-hour audiobook per week - 52 books a year! 
--- I get my audiobooks from http://www.audible.com and http://www.learnoutloud.com/.  It's better to pay for good audiobooks, read by professional voice artists and recorded in professional recording studios, rather than getting cheap freebies by some guy behind his home computer.

(3) Invest some time in doing a speed reading course
--- I've doubled my own reading speed (from an embarrassing 350 wpm up to 700 wpm) using this course: http://www.speedreadingsecret.com/?afl=52984 from the WCCL Network
--- If you take an hour or two to do this course, you will regain those hours many times over -- how's that for a good return on investment?!

(4) Consider replacing all your personal development studies, books, etc. with Bob Proctor's "Six Minutes to Success"
--- Bob has been in the personal development business for 49 years now, and he distills the very essence of personal growth into a 1-2 minute video, and gives you a 4-5 minutes exercise, so in total it takes only 6 minutes of your time, Monday to Friday. 
--- He basically does all the research for you, so you really don't have to spend your time on any other personal development material. 
--- Follow these 3 links to find 3 free videos where he explains it himself
     (and he talks about time management -- "There is no time management.  Nobody can manage time.  You can only manage activities."):
--- Video1 http://store.sixminutestosuccess.com/?aid=587672
--- Video2 http://store.sixminutestosuccess.com/?aid=587673
--- Video3 http://store.sixminutestosuccess.com/?aid=587674

(5) Always take a shower instead of a bath
--- Just the time it takes to fill the bath, and the time it takes to let the bath water run out, adds up to 2 hours per month!

I know this will help you -- don't just shrug it off as crazy, do it and experience the results for yourself!

Regards

Lou...

The Non-Budget : The proven 3-step method to take control of your personal finances
http://www.the-non-budget.com
Pretty Damsel

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 02:02:13 AM »

I always have my planner with me. It is helpful because, i won't miss anything because everything is written on it. All I have to do is execute those stuffs. Plus, there is the last page for financial budgeting.

For fast acting relief visit:
Depression Help
Tuhin

champion.tuhin
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »

Hi Alliday,
At first I write down everything I want to do in a certain day. I finish it and cross that word from my diary. My personal challenge is to do everything whatever I have written. This works best for me.

Tuhin

Success doesn't come to you, you go to success.
Receive free self help newsletters and cutting edge tools at www.personaldevelopmentpage.com
Beyond Symbols

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 08:36:44 PM »

Well, I have plenty of tasks on my list, which is in fact a monthly one, and new new things constantly come up. But I found out that if you always put off something for later, it is not that important. At one point, I found myself working like 16 hours every single day (including the weekend). I worked for 2 years without a break. And - I just decided that taking so much work was not worth it - even for all money in the world.

Healthy Living Magazine - reach health balance and family bliss. Health dangers are everywhere, e.g. do you know where dangerous bacteria hide?
adambenedetto

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 03:27:13 AM »

What works for me is to listen to myself on what feels right at that moment.  I find that if I listen to my intuition rather than my mind, I am able to do what is most necessary and beneficial at that moment. It may not seem like it would work very well, but it actually works better than anything I have ever tried.

Receive answers about your journey toward enlightenment, your destiny, and becoming your true self at Answersinwriting.com
live-consciously.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »

Hi Alliday,

I would also highly recommend getting a copy of 'The Four Hour Work Week' - there are nuggets of genius in there when it comes to time-management. Here are a couple of things I would suggest:

- As Lou said, get rid of the TV! Try it for a month - you'll never look back.
- Get up as early as you can. Can't recommend this highly enough. I like to get about 25% of my work done for the day before most people get up. (Depending on your personal circumstances, you could also consider adopting a polyphasic sleep cycle.)
- Ask yourself exactly how much of your daily routine is spent doing things that are ultimately unrelated to achieving your long-term goals.
- Try not to check email/facebook/twitter before midday. These inevitably lead to procrastination or will lead your mind to wander down various tangents that aren't related to your long-term goals.
- Be strict with exactly how much time you allocate yourself for each task. You will be surprised what you are capable of when you have no choice but get something done by a certain time.
- Consider adopting a minimalist lifestyle. Simply put - less stuff, less stress, less distractions.... more freedom, more time, more money.

Hope some of these help, please keep us updated with how you get on!
Leigh

My Blog:
www.live-consciously.com
Open Your Mind, Choose Life.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: