Self-Development Forum
December 12, 2017, 08:17:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TIP! Shrink this header down to the logo by clicking the minus sign image (top right).

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Redundancy  (Read 2685 times)
ShelaghD

Make life happen!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2010, 07:09:19 PM »

I started working on a book about dealing with redundancy over a year ago, but shelved it when other priorities took over.  Now I'd really like to get it finished.  A lot of my clients are going through redundancy or problems with their jobs, but I want to be able to help other people going through this too. 

Is there anyone out there who has experienced redundancy or a career crisis of some kind and would like to share their own experiences to help others going through it? 

If you'd like to discuss what happened to you - good or bad - post it here or send me a personal e-mail. 

Many thanks.   Smiley

Don't let life happen to you, make it happen for you!

Shelagh Dillon  www.FelicitasLifeCoach.com  

Find me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/felicitaslifecoach for daily inspiration with light hearted approach
Pretty Damsel

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 07:16:08 AM »

That would be great shelaghD.
Actually as of my career employment..I have been working in a BPO company for almost 5 yrs now but i am still in the lower level, never got promoted. I don't know how to level up.

For fast acting relief visit:
Depression Help
KathyT

Glad to be here!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 01:24:16 PM »

Hi Shelagh!
I wouldn't be surprised if you get inundated with stories! These days, it is so common for people to be switching careers that surely some of these switches have occurred due to one crisis or another.

As I think about it, the reason I now work completely online is due to a lack of consistent employment. It is interesting to look back, because I see now (hindsight being as clear as it is!) that everything happened in my "career" exactly as it needed to in order for me to be where I am now.

All of my past work when I moved to the northern part of New Hampshire (US) was grant-funded. Which meant that all those positions would disappear once the funding for them disappeared. It became very depressing to watch all the work I would do pretty much disintegrate. Most of my work wound up being career coaching related - whether for high-school aged students or adults.

As a career coach I knew what to do in order to assess my own situation, and by the time the economy started to really fail, I had also become well-acquainted with the field of personal development (which truly goes hand-in-hand with any career or life development coaching).

I took some time to REALLY look seriously at the path I had already travelled, and realized that every position I qualified for in that area would ultimately be grant-funded or otherwise on shaky financial grounds. I spent lots of time writing out - by hand, on paper - everything I could think of that I had consciously or unconsciously decided throughout my life that brought me to that place. (i.e. taking complete, 100% responsibility for every single thing that has happened in my life - I really do practice what I preach!)

I kew then that I would not go down that road again, and with the support of my husband embarked on my very satisfying and current "career" of working online (it truly doesn't feel like work since I enjoy it so much!)..

But, it really was not until I was able to sit down and take a long, hard look in the mirror and take that total responsilbitiy for every decision. I encourage every one of my clients to do this - past and present - and once we are able to look at our situations honestly and with accountability to ourselves, it is amazing what we can do.

No blaming the government for not having the funds to keep me employed... no blaming the school districts for not supporting the positions... no blaming anyone for anything. That also meant not "blaming" myself for anything either - just taking "responsibility" - I was not forced to take any of those positions. I CHOSE to accept them, knowing full well that they could disappear. Just like being in any situation we feel is "bad" or "negative" - somehow, somewhere along the way, we chose to enter into that situation.

Sorry this is so long - but it is difficult to verbalize my feelings about this type of situation in any other way - especially since I have worked with so many other people besides myself on this very topic.
Smiley

Hi! I Wrote a Goal Setting Guide that is Free For Everyone!
I had a LOT of fun writing it & hope you enjoy reading it & my newsletters.
Come meet me at http://www.SelfDevelopmentStrategies.com
Also, my blog is up & running! http://www.SelfDevelopmentAndGrowth.com
Thank you for visiting! Smiley
ShelaghD

Make life happen!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 04:10:54 PM »

Ooo - I haven't checked in for a while but thank you for the responses so far.  I'll get back to you as soon as I can. 

Smiley

Don't let life happen to you, make it happen for you!

Shelagh Dillon  www.FelicitasLifeCoach.com  

Find me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/felicitaslifecoach for daily inspiration with light hearted approach
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: