Self-Development Forum
August 21, 2017, 11:36:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TIP! Shrink this header down to the logo by clicking the minus sign image (top right).

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Help!  (Read 9862 times)
goaleygal

View Profile Email
« on: February 18, 2007, 01:26:36 AM »

Hi all!

I wonder if any of you are suffering from emotional detachment? I am not able to feel emotions. I can't feel sadness.  When 911 happened, I felt nothing! When Columbine happened, I felt nothing!And I live three miles away!  I can't even cry!   Does anybody else suffer from this?  Would love some input.
Sanjay Agrawal
Believe In The Here And The Now
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 01:26:28 PM »

Hi,

First and foremost, welcome to the forum! Smiley And thanks for the contributions you are making.

Have you consulted some expert in the relevant field about your particular problem? How long since you have this 'emotional detachment' issue?

Cheers,
Sanjay.

My Spiritual Retreat On The Web: quest for Nirvana
sharath_chandra

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 03:21:54 AM »

Same  here too........ I too am suffering from this emotional emptiness for quite long, say a year. I just walk through life emptily. Is this self inflicted by some wrong decision unknown to me ? Or is this natural for some one who goes through life with repeated emotions for long ?

Please help.
Huey Tlatoani

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 12:35:32 AM »

I will try to make you aware of your emotional detachment by explaining the following;

You have in you two personalities per se, you have an authentic self and a pretension self also known as the ego.  Your authentic self is strong, stable, knows what it wants and where it is going, it responds to events in life.  The ego, in the other hand is the body of pretension it pretends to be what it is not, it thinks it is different, it reacts to events in life.  You also have three bodies of structure, the physical, mental and emotional bodies.  The emotional body is the body of feelings, it can perceive the world by sensations, feelings and emotions.
Emotions are a reaction of the ego, not a form of perception. It reacts to events in life by expressing the emotions of anger or sadness by crying or yelling for example, while the authentic self's response to the same events may be responded with feelings of acceptance, compassion, kindness, sadness too, but not the sadness concerning personal importance but the sadness that comes from the universe.    The authentic self accepts what is, the ego judges.
Because there is usually a big reaction by the general population to the events in life, you may expect to have the same reactions.  look at the events in your life where you think you should have reacted and expressed your emotions.  Go deep into the event and see if you accepted it and what feelings where there.  Was there pity, compassion, kindness?  Check your believes regarding emotional reactions.

Hope this helps.

HT

sharath_chandra

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 03:25:26 AM »

Thanks for the kind advice. Yes there were some emotional problems I had faced in the distant past and even now. The most important being a sense of being alone,lost as such I don't have much friends. But on the contrary I have seen many solitary individuals bubbling with life, though  living in solitude. What is it that keeps them going?

Secondly, I am suffering from emotional mistakes, some mistakes committed in the past due to wrong thinking which has affected others and me emotionally. This I realize is due to lack of understanding and thorough knowledge then. But it still bothers me. Do you think we can just "let drop" without any guilty hauntings?

Awaiting your reply. And thanks again.

Sharath 
Huey Tlatoani

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 06:55:16 PM »

Sharath;  in the path that i am following there are common people and there are warriors.  a warrior is never lonely, he/she can be alone but never lonely.  to be lonely is a state of mind which you can erase at will.  To be alone is a state of being and it is by choice.
if you are alone, in order to avoid loneliness you need to be with spirit.  Those are good opportunities to be in touch with yourself, your authentic self.  you can ask questions, silence your internal dialogue and then wait for an answer.
in order to rid of your emotional problems, you need to take responsibility of your actions past and present.  Once you say to yourself, I am responsible for this or that act, then there will be no more room for guiltiness, repentance, grief.

Watch yourself every minute of the day, watch your actions and reactions to events and people.  if you  see yourself  reacting to someone or something, just watch yourself and try to determine where did the emotional charge come from? Don't judge anything nor yourself.  Once to determine that, you will be able to go back and forgive yourself, take responsibility for the act and then you will be able to move on.  You are wasting a lot of energy going back and reliving those emotional charges.  Go back and forgive yourself, take responsibility.

hope this helps

HT
secret_torment

This is me

venus_star_warp@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 03:56:35 PM »

don't worry you're certainly not alone. I've been through so much myself that sometimes it feels as though there are no tears left to cry...even though you know you should show emotion you can't. xxx

~*keep fighting til it's over*~
Huey Tlatoani

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 08:00:59 PM »

There is no problem with having an emotional detachmnet on events and people.  Attachments, when borken usually cause pain and suffering.  being detached from your loved ones for example, does not mean you don't love them or you don't care.  you can be detached and at the same time love.

HT
Tuhin

champion.tuhin
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 02:28:32 AM »

I had the same problem like you while I had a break up with my girlfriend. Later on I fall in love again and I became normal.

Success doesn't come to you, you go to success.
Receive free self help newsletters and cutting edge tools at www.personaldevelopmentpage.com
Eduard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 05:05:19 PM »

I don't see how that's a bad thing in the examples you gave us. Are there situations where it would benefit you practically to feel certain emotions but you don't? Can you give us such examples? Maybe it's a gift, not a curse. Just sayn'  Wink

withgravy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 09:06:29 PM »

Hi,

When my mother died I cried but when my father died some years later, I didn't cry and to some extent I did feel detached. That was partially due to having a better relationship with my mother than with my father. My children think I am a bit emotionless but I do feel sadness and when watching 'emotional movies' my eyes do well up.

Other than that I do feel normal!!

Frank
Pretty Damsel

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 08:21:04 AM »

I believe that sometimes feeling alone is one way that triggers emotional detachment

For fast acting relief visit:
Depression Help
0 ranjith

FRIENDS ARE THE MESAURE OF A PERSON'S QUALITIES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 01:54:43 PM »

You are too lucky for not being able to feel emotions. However you wish to enter into a hell by feeling every emotion. Emotions can't be created. They arise only when they need to. perhaps there was never a need for you.

A light hearted talk
Of expressions
Of friendship
Of love
And Of happiness.......
Read on my blog:
Everything had left….. but not a drop of tear was shed
-Written by  Ranjith
helenmorgan

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 11:22:25 PM »

This emotional detachment is most probably a defense mechanism.You seem to have experienced emotional things, but you might be blocked on some psychological level from your experience. A person who has been hurt many times might withdraw and may try to detach feelings from future problems. They lead a life of sadness, but they deny it, sometimes with clever rationalizations. If you want you might try to see a professional therapist or try to talk to your parents. Emotional detachment can mean two different things. It may refer to an *inability* to connect with others emotionally, as well as a means of dealing with anxiety by preventing certain situations that trigger it; it is often described as "emotional numbing" or dissociation.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:30:05 PM by helenmorgan » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: