Self-Development Forum
December 15, 2017, 04:39:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TIP! Shrink this header down to the logo by clicking the minus sign image (top right).

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Energy Vampires  (Read 7918 times)
Mind Recipes

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 09, 2010, 04:10:28 AM »

When you come into contact with draining people - the ones that suck the energy out of you, what do you do? I use a number of different strategies and have written a post about this subject.

http://www.mindrecipes.com/2010/energy-vampires/

I would love to hear your ideas on the way you handle these situations.

"If your recipe sucks, it doesn't matter how good a cook you are" Timothy Ferriss - www.mindrecipes.com
Mind Recipes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 08:24:04 PM »

Thanks Jak. I have had so many people ask how I deal with continuously negative people - hence the post.

There is a big difference between people who need your support on occasions, and Energy Vampires who continuously complain about anything and everything in their lives. Most people aren't even aware they are doing it, and you may not even be aware that some of your closest friends and family are the culprits. Awareness is the first step to nipping this in the bud.

"If your recipe sucks, it doesn't matter how good a cook you are" Timothy Ferriss - www.mindrecipes.com
Amy Twain

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 06:41:53 AM »

Hey thanks for the link!

Which just reminds me, I wrote a related article also about emotional vampires. Here's the link:

http://www.innerzine.com/stress-management/how-to-deal-with-emotional-vampires

Hope it helps! Smiley

Amy

Unlock your own secrets of success--now! http://goldminetosuccess.com/
Sherri Frost

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 07:59:55 PM »

I agree...awareness is the first step. Sometimes those vampires can sneak up on you and then you have to take steps to nip it in the bud.

Enjoy and Celebrate Your Day!

Sherri Frost

www.hypnosis-self-help.com
Mind Recipes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 08:50:25 AM »

So true Sherri. Then there is the whole new topic about the Energy Vampires themselves that aren't even aware of the affect they are having on other people. A whole new article coming up shortly I think Smiley

Sherri Frost

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »

The whole 'vampire' metaphor creates a very vivid image in my mind and is a good reminder to be on the lookout.

Sherri Frost

Mind Recipes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »

That's the beauty of metaphors - they do create such vivid images........in this case the Energy Vampires suck the energy from you (in most cases without real intentions though)

Styla

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 04:20:55 PM »

That's interesting, I didn't know much about those vampires. So what is the worst situation we could have with them?

Sherri Frost

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 10:19:05 PM »

These are the negative people who drain the energy out of you. It may be the 'drama queen' who feels that everything is about them and they cry out for all your attention OR it might be the people who find fault with everything and they put down your ideas. The end result is that they can bring you down and suck your energy. I would say that it is best to avoid these people. If that is not possible because they are part of your family or you work with them, then minimize your contact. First you have to be aware.

The worst that can happen?

You end up becoming one of them and find yourself complaining about everything instead of looking for the silver lining.

Sherri Frost

Mind Recipes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 07:58:31 AM »

Great answer Sherri.

I would just add that just because you have something going on in your life and need others support doesn't make you an Energy Vampire.

An Energy vampire has a LONG history of always looking at the negatives of life, and loves to draw as many people into their dramas as possible.

Sometimes, however, they may even appear to be happy people, but by definition an energy vampire is someone who makes you feel tired and drained just by being around them. It feels as if they literally suck out your life energy.

Sherri Frost

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 01:42:27 PM »

I should also add  that energy vampires are 'takers' not 'givers'. They take what they need without giving anything in return.

Sherri Frost

Evan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 08:12:27 AM »

For me it is knowing what they hook in me, getting centred, and deciding what to do.  I have learned gradually that I can just say no, and I don't need to justify my decision to the other person.  If they want to hook me into an argument I use 'fogging' ("I can see that you want to know my reasons") or just get evasive.

To find out how to live true to yourself and have real relationships with others go to www.livingauthentically.org
Amy Twain

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 02:53:49 AM »

I've known some energy/emotional vampires. They can be attractive creatures, but sometimes unreliable. I just stay out of these people. Don't like the aura they exude.

Unlock your own secrets of success--now! http://goldminetosuccess.com/
Mind Recipes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 09:37:19 PM »

Also a good thing to recognize the Energy Vampire in yourself.........this can be a bit trickier to recognize

mcmandy65

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 02:25:41 AM »

I just try to separate myself from the situation...I don't always succeed tho.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 02:29:15 AM by mcmandy65 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: