Self-Development Forum
December 17, 2017, 04:24:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TIP! Shrink this header down to the logo by clicking the minus sign image (top right).

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghost Stories  (Read 15513 times)
thebrookela

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2009, 06:30:48 PM »

I just have to chime in on this one, even though the post hasn't been very active.  I have seen ghosts.  I have heard ghosts.  My children have also seen and heard ghosts.  We lived in a house the first section of which was built in 1722 and the last in 1790.  Each of the three sections had its own ghosts.  I will only tell a few of the many stories about our ghosts, so as not to overload you.

When we moved to the farm in 1944, one of the requirements of the sale was that we were to give room, board, and work to the caretaker, who had been there for at least 40 years.  He was 78 years old at the time (born during "the Great Blizzard of 1866", as he liked to remind us).  He stayed with us until 1959, when he decided that there were too many woman around - my mother, two grandmothers, and me; he had had a love affair with an opera singer in the 1880s who spurned his proposal of marriage, and that sort of put him off women.  We visited him once in 1960, but lost contact after that and so never did learn what happened to him . . . but there are other ways of finding out.

In 1975 one of the tenants in the "Little House" (which was about 20 feet from the west end of the house) awakened in the wee small hours and realized he had left the television set on.  As he raised his head to glance at the set, he saw a figure sitting on the end of the bed.  When he sat up, the figure disappeared.  When he - still pale and visibly shaking - described his early morning visitor, I was able to confirm that it was our caretaker, Clayt.  There were few things that gave Clayt pleasure as much as sour balls (a form of candy), new overalls, and television.  He would do anything to be asked to sit down and watch when we kids were watching . . . his favorite show was "Navy Log", probably one you don't remember.

Clayt was also seen by another tenant, walking outside on the south side of the house and accompanied by the sound of a lot of shattering glass.  These tenants lived in the east side of the house.  When given the description, again I was able to identify Clayt, and suggested that the shattering glass was caused by the house's memory of the day the greenhouse at the east end of the house was torn down.

We became good friends with another tenant of the little house, Buzz, who had a girlfriend named Martha.  While the children and I were gone for a month, they had the run of our (west) side of the house, closest to the little house.  Martha had a sister stay over with her one night and for whatever reason, the sister came into the main house to use the bathroom.   She turned on the hall lights, both downstairs and upstairs, then went up to the loo.  When she came out of the loo, the lights were off.  So she turned them on again from the switches at the top of the stairs and started down the stairs.  She got to the 7th step of 12 when the lights went off again.  She KNEW there was no one else in the house, so she jumped the last 5 steps and ran out to the little house, swearing that she'd never go into the main house again.

We had a friend in the early 1980s named Adi Kent Thomas Jeffrey who was a "ghost hunter" and wrote a number of books about the ghosts of Bucks County, PA.  My younger daughter saw her on an afternoon tv show and called the studio to find out how to get in touch with her, leaving our address and phone number.  We didn't hear from her so we wrote it off.  Then one Sunday around 11am, we were making salt dough to form into little statues . . . just a fun thing . . . when the doorbell rang.  Nobody we didn't know, I mean NObody, ever just "dropped in" because they couldn't find us, back in the woods as we were, so this was a surprise.  My younger daughter went to the door and started screaming "It's Adi Kent Thomas Jeffrey; it's Adi Kent Thomas Jeffrey", and indeed it was.

Adi was a middle-aged, well dressed and coiffed, very polite woman who apologized for interrupting our Sunday, but had gotten younger daughter's message and would like to talk with us about our ghosts.  For five hours we talked.  She asked if we would mind if she brought a "sensitive" to look around and we said bring her on.  A sensitive is one who is particularly adept at communicating with the vibrations of the dead.  When the sensitive visited, she told us about ten or twelve spirits she encountered, some of whom we knew about from personal experience, some of whom were strangers to us.  She talked with a Revolutionary War soldier who was shot at the Battle of Monmouth in New Jersey and died at the farm while trying to get home to West Virginia.  She talked to Clayt, who admitted that he'd been wandering around for a long time, but never showed himself to me or my daughters.  She also saw, in the Summer Kitchen which was in the east section of the house, a woman tending a large kettle on a hob over an open fire in the huge fireplace, while rocking her baby in a cradle on the hearth.  The whole afternoon would have caused goosebumps for anyone else, but my girls and I were used to these entities, even if we'd never "seen" them.

What's funny is that my mother and father never believed that such things were possible and, hence, never saw or heard a thing.  Although only one of the girls "saw" a spirit, we were always aware of them.  I often walked through a damp, cold spot on the west end staircase (on which I always heard footsteps when nobody was coming up or going down), and always apologizied for bumping into the woman I am sure was the owner of the house in the late 1890s, a certain Mrs. Paul  (although the property was listed as belonging to her husband because women weren't allowed to own property in those days).  I'll tell you her story if you ask politely.

Believe me, ghosts are almost everywhere, and are very real.  But you don't have to be afraid of them because  the majority of them do not want to harm the living . . . Adi and her sensitive friend thought that they didn't realize they were dead so so they stayed where the surroundings were familiar . . . actually, I think Clayt was the reason my children managed not to be seriously injured on many occasions when they certainly should have been (falling down stairs; things falling on them; almost being seriously cut by a knife that flew out of her hand instead; things like that).  Now, if you're talking poltergeists, that's another story.  We never had one, but know of houses that did, and they are very non-habit-forming.

Bright blessings!
Tess
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 10:58:17 PM »

Hiya Brooke,

You sound psychic to me
thebrookela

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 05:45:14 PM »

Ha ha ha ha!  Tess,

Psychotic might be more like it . . . but I'm not the only one who has experienced these spirits.  For many years various parts of the main house and little house were rented to non-family members.  Each one of them managed to see one or another of the dear little ghosties floating about.  I think other people saw them, too, but were afraid of being thought insane to talk about it.  Personally, I don't give a rat's patootie whether anyone thinks I'm crazy.  I know what I know.

My first experience came about because at the age of five, I had no playmates (because we were so far from our closest neighbor).  So an adult friend let me "borrow" one of his house's ghosts.  This shade's name was Mr. Doan and had been the father of the Doan clan who robbed the United States Treasury, which was held in Newtown, PA, during the Revolutionary War.  After the robbery, they rode back to their home - Old Egypt Farm - and disguised as women, they lived out most of their lives . . . until a neighbor saw one of them without his wig and the jig was up.  They were all hanged, but the money was never found.

For two centuries people would buy Old Egypt Farm and dig up every blade of grass and weed, looking for the big haul.  Never happened.  Now, I didn't know what Mr. Doan had done at that time, and he never told me, so don't ask me what happened to the loot.  Mr. Doan went back to Old Egypt Farm when our friends sold the property, but by that time I'd made the acquaintance of a number of ghosts living on our farm, so I wasn't lonely . . . although I did miss the odor of Mr. Doan's pipe smoke.

It's funny that nobody else commented about this.  I thought the forum was Psychic Abilities and Phenomenon.  Go figure.  Maybe EVERYbody sees and talks to ghosts.  Oh, I know . . . it was too long and caused folks' eyes to glaze over.  Sorry . . . again . . . for my wordiness.

Bright blessings to all, and especially to you, Tess!
Miss Lara

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 06:26:46 PM »

Actually, you bring up a good point (and some great stories!):

Do you think certain people are more attuned to these kinds of phenomena? And if so, why do you think that is?

Really curious...

Lara

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

http://www.cagefreeliving.com
http://www.cagefreeliving.com/blog
Tess
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:42:34 PM »

Psychotic!!! I doubt it lol.  You are so funny.

Me wonders whether Lara could be psychic also.  I have a feeling - oh no!!! lol x

I wouldn't like to see a ghost and that is for sure!!!  My mum saw one once - and she has a great philosophy on life.  I really must talk to her about it.  I have been too busy fending her off!! lol x

You two have fun  and I will look on with one eye closed - lol xxx
Tess
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 07:18:39 PM »

Something is coming through -  me thinks I can hear wedding bells !!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:20:09 PM by Tess » Logged
thebrookela

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 07:45:23 PM »

Oh boy!  Am I sorry for not checking back sooner.  My most abject apologies to all!

Miss Lara, yes, I think that some people are more sensitive to the esoteric side of life.  Although, as a writer of TV and radio soaps,  my father was very "right brained", he also had very heavy "left brain" characteristics.  He would just laugh and call me crazy if I mentioned that "the ghosts" had disappeared something.

One example:  During one of our Friday recording sessions about his life, I mentioned that "the ghosts" had disappeared the scarab bracelet that I had bought in NYC during the late 50s.  Since he would probably die before I did, I asked that when he had a moment before going "into the light", he would ask them to reappear it.  He said he would and that was the end of it.

After he died and I lost the farm, while packing to move I was able to get back into a corner of my room that had been used for storage during the previous 5 years of restoration on the house.  I knew that my small jewelry box was in a dresser drawer, and I remembered precisely what was in that box before it had been made inaccessible.

Believe it or not, when I opened that jewelry box, carefully positioned across the box diagonally was my scarab bracelet.  I KNOW it wasn't there before the dresser had been blocked because I had looked for the bracelet at least every week for a year before that.

Ha ha!  Joke's on my father.  He, who never believed, must now believe.

One last story:  In September 2002, about two weeks before I was diagnosed with and almost died from Lyme Disease, I called my mother, who lived in Fayetteville, Arkansas, as I did every Sunday.  After the usual Hi's and I Miss You's, I asked how my mother was feeling (she had a golf-sized tumor sitting on her optic nerve that had been in remission for about three years, so I always worried that it had started to grow again).

"Well, dear, I'm feeling fine.  Your father and Bur-Bur (my baby name for her mother) - both of who were deceased - have been visiting lately."  Uh oh!  Not looking good.  "Your father is wearing a homespun cloak with a hood, but Bur-Bur appears as a saffron-colored mist."  Are they talking to you? I asked, and she said "No, they're just HERE.  I keep telling them that they should go on to their next level, but they're still here.  It's very comforting."

Well, I had to ask:  "Have you given any thought to the possibility that they are there to help YOU to your next level?"  Mother sounded totally surprised; "No, I never thought that.  But it makes sense, doesn't it?"

The upshot of this was that my daughter drove down to Fayetteville with her second child, who was only three years old, so that Mother could meet her newest great-grand daughter.  She stayed there for 6 days, leaving on a Saturday.  On the road she called me the next morning, saying that she couldn't get Mother on the phone.  I said that I had been trying to call, too, with no luck.  If I didn't get through by late afternoon, I would call Mother's friend and have her check it out.

When Mother's friend arrived at her house, she found Mother on the floor, having probably been there since morning because her coffee and solitaire game were on the table.  Mother had had a stroke, and was taken to the UofArk Hospital.  After a week there, it was determined that she was terminal, so she was moved to the city hospital.  Fortunately, the director of the city hospital had been the director of a retirement community where my mother - up to the day of her stroke - did clothing alterations for the residents, and was much beloved.  When she saw Mother's name on the intake list she was reported to have said "Not OUR Mary Gussman," and set about seeing that Mother got the very best possible care.

Mother died one week later - the Dx was MI, but I think the tumor was the real reason.  Were my father and her mother "hanging out with her" to help her transitiion?  Make your own decision, but I know what MINE is.

Tess, if you haven't seen" a ghost yet, I don't think you will.  That kind of "sensitivity" shows up pretty early in life, but also gets socialized out fairly fast.  My grandson at age two was always seeing ghosts and talking to them; I think one of them was Clayt, but my g.s. could tell me if it was a man or a woman . . . because it wasn't wearing clothes he recognized.

Who's getting married, Tess?  I'm good with that, as long as it isn't me!!!

pushpendra

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 06:38:53 AM »

ha ha,

seems like a hallucinations you and your family have had. I don't believe in such stories.probably will start to believe when I meet the one.

http://scholarsresearchlibrary.com/AASR-first-issue/aasr-first-issue-43-50.html
bsnider

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 04:18:42 PM »

thebrookela,

Your ghost stories are wonderful.  I hope you will write a book about them someday.

Be strong and outspoken
when falsehood is spoken
http://bobsmart.com
Tess
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 11:19:14 PM »

I so agree - Brooke is an excellent story teller - the thing of it is though - her stories are true. She  is intelligent, witty, charming and really funny.   Her courage and bravery throughout her life is second to none.  I admire her immensely.
thebrookela

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 02:43:06 PM »

Thank you so much for your responses!

Pushpendra, you don't have to believe anything you don't want to believe.  But calling someone else's beliefs "hallucinations" isn't very nice.  I hope you don't meet a ghost - it might be enough to push you over the edge.

bsnider, thank you for your support.  I'd love to write a book about the ghosts in our former home . . . but I have to write my father's memoirs first.  As I'm already 70 y.o., I think that will pretty much exhaust my time on this plane.

Tess, dear, you never cease to embarrass me!  However, if I were ever to have a tomb stone (never happen), I'd ask that your post be chiseled into the granite in oder to celebrate my life.  Brightest blessings to you!

A Happy Holiday Season to all who observe it (just in case I don't check in for a while)!!!
bsnider

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 04:46:29 PM »

thebrookela,

I must take issue with this 70 thing.  I am also 70 and life is just getting started.  Now that I am retired, I can pursue the things that are really important.  I am not sure where you are, but I am looking forward to another 30 years of accomplishments.    Cool

Be strong and outspoken
when falsehood is spoken
http://bobsmart.com
fisty18uk

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 07:20:14 PM »

hello im 21 and when i was young i could see ghosts i can remember once my mom and dad went to watch my brother do a christmas play i can remember crying for them because my uncle was looking after me i was upstaires looking out my window and my nan was looking after me saying everythink was ok normal but not normal because my nan had died. ive also gt a picture of a ghost i took 2 years ago. i have stopt seeing ghosts now but i think because i was scared i have put like a mentle block there not sure if i want to take it down now lol
Tess
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 01:34:45 AM »

I agree and I also take issue  with you Brooke - you better get writing about your dad - as you have so much to say about yourself.  I do agree though about your epitaph.  What I say holds true with you. 

With tons and tons of love
T xxx
thebrookela

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »

bsnider, I'm sorry if I seemed to demean being 70 . . . actually, while I'm not up to what I used to be, I'm in darned good shape for someone my age.  Anyway, 70 is the new 50 . . . and I'm shooting for 100, also (my father lived 13 years longer than his father, who died at 74; I'm going to live 13 years longer than my father, who died at 87 - and all this just to become a problem for my children, ha ha ha!  Only sort of kidding!).  Meet you on the flip side of 100, OK?

fisty18uk, your experience isn't unusual.  Children do see spirits, but the ability is socialized out of them by parents, mostly, who don't want others to think their kid is nuts.  Did you have a serious illness around the time you saw your Nan (whom I assume was your grandmother)?  Generally if you see the spirit of someone you know, they have come to warn you of something to come.  As long as they're outside - as yours was - the something isn't lethal; now, if they're inside - as in my mother seeing her mother and my father - that's something to pay attention to.  Don't worry about spirits; they aren't going to hurt you.  Now, poltergeists . . . that's another thing . . . those you need to get quit of.

And Tess, as soon as I get my living space organized enough to be able to think about something other than the mess, I'm getting out the transcriber and going back to Tape 7.  Thank you for caring enough to bring it to my conscious attention.  Tons and tons of love right back atcha!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: