Self-Development Forum
January 27, 2022, 01:51:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TIP! Shrink this header down to the logo by clicking the minus sign image (top right).

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do You Think It Matters What You Think Or Believe?  (Read 11841 times)
Bigpicture

View Profile WWW
« on: July 20, 2009, 08:28:28 AM »

We all see our world through what I call our "beliefs eyes". Through those "beliefs eyes" we believe what we see.

Let us say that you believe the world is full of nasty people, then that's what you will see many nasty people. However, if you believe the world has plenty of kind-hearted and considerate people you will see masses of them a world full of kind-hearted and considerate people.

So, since what you believe is what you see, what made those beliefs in the first place? In other words, where do your beliefs come from?

Your beliefs were created and influenced by your thoughts; the thoughts that you have or those you were told as a youngster growing up from everyone around you.

If you think the same thing over and over again, you will eventually believe that thought. For example, if you consistently thought rich people are greedy, you will, in time, develop this belief that rich men are greedy.

Over time, this belief gains momentum and power, and becomes engraved I stone. It becomes a core belief a belief that is the foundation about how you see rich people and what you also think about money.

So, let's say you now want to make more money, and you try very hard to get that raise or increase your sales, more than likely you'll not achieve your goal because your beliefs stop you; they do not want you to be rich.

Why?

Because you think rich people are greedy!

So your beliefs will do whatever it takes to stop you from joining the 'greedy bunch'. Your beliefs will defiantly say, "Hey, you believe rich people are greedy, so you definitely don't want to be part of that greedy bunch. Stay clear of them. You're a nice guy. Stay that way."

What happens, you'll never be rich.

If you want to have more money and be rich, you will need to change that core belief.

You will need to have a new self-enhancing belief, such as: "Rich men are kind and generous." Otherwise your limiting belief will forever stand in your way.

If you do somehow land with lots of money, such as an inheritance, your limiting belief will kick it and make sure you get rid of that money quickly and put you right back to where you started from no or very little money.

So, does it matter what you think or believe? You bet!

100% Free Mini-Course Reveals 5 Amazingly Simple Things You Can Do To Start Living The Life Of Your Dreams: http://wwv.boostyourmotivation.co.uk

My blogs: http://the-motivation-blog.com/ and http://boostyourmotivation.co.uk/articles/
Sueblue
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:12:31 AM »

It's a rare person who will have been exposed to sufficient differing viewpoints in their lifetime NOT to automatically view things from the perspective of their own education, training, social background, religious or cultural beliefs.
Miss Lara

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 04:11:16 PM »

Dear Bigpicture,

I agree with your line of thinking. Debbie Ford also does a lot of work along these lines -- identifying, facing, and overcoming sabotaging beliefs.

It is crucial to listen to ourselves. That thought or way of being we have labeled as bad or negative will get more and more creative as we continue to ignore it so we need to give it heed and sit with the totality of our humanity.

Thanks for the post,
Lara

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

http://www.cagefreeliving.com
http://www.cagefreeliving.com/blog
Trytolearnmore

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 09:58:42 AM »

Well yes... it does matter)) It is really obvious)

Tess
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 12:56:12 AM »

We live though filtered eyes - shame - such a problem but alas so true.  We are filtered so we all think and feel different.  No right, no wrong just filtered differently - when we all understand this then we may understand each other.
Amy Twain

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 02:46:10 AM »

I think so. It matters. Our beliefs and perceptions may be our guide to how we want to view things. Others may have a different standpoint, but if you have your own thinking, nothing or nobody can take it away from you. Nobody can tell you to "stop thinking, or stop believing a certain thing." That's why I believe in LOA

Unlock your own secrets of success--now! http://goldminetosuccess.com/
Linda J Miller

Hi , Im Linda J Miller

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 10:41:13 PM »

There's so many facts around us that can change and alter our beliefs, like our environment, people around us, media, and what other people believe. So people that think they believe in the same thing can have very different perceptions of it, that's often where problems arise.

Mag76

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »

I dont think that rich men are kind and generous but I think sometimes there are ones who are just like that maybe..
where  mine beliefs come from?

I dont know it just comes with a life! Smiley
Tim Shirley

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 01:41:23 PM »

I personally believe that our dominate thoughts, those thoughts we "dwell" on, are a major cause of our belief system.  I also agree with the other poster who also attributes environment, religion, media as contributing factors.

Here's How I see it:

Our belief system is developed at a very early age in life.  We learn right and wrong from our parents.  We learn to love our brothers and sisters and to share our toys with them. All of these interactions start to develop our core values, beliefs.

I come from a very "religious" family so for me that was an important factor as well in determining my belief system.  Remember the golden rule: Do unto others as you would have them do to you (paraphrased Wink)

This also carries into our beliefs about money.  If we see our parents fighting all the time about the bills and not ever having enough money then we start to develop this scarcity mentality at an early age.

The cool thing about beliefs is just that, they are BELIEFS we can choose to believe or not believe what we want.  They can be changed, it is not an easy process but what worthwhile venture is ever easy.

This is where I feel that our dominate thoughts come in.  When we focus on what we want, better health, more money, better relationships and not on what we do not want.  We can slowly start to change our beliefs about these things and from those beliefs will spring the results we want.

When we change our beliefs we change our results, because our beliefs govern our ACTIONS.  The offspring of right action is right results!

That's just how I see it. Smiley
maree

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 12:31:47 AM »

BUT, in my life my limiting beliefs have come about through circumstances, or events that have actually happened in my life.  If a negative event happens, then it happens again, this will reinforce a negative belief through EXPERIENCE, not just through having that negative belief.  I was fat and ugly as a child (and clever, the worst sin that a female can do) and was consequently bullied by the boys in my class at high school.  That happened regularly, not just once or twice, so that reinforced that I was unattractive, and would always be alone, die an old maid etc.  That is likely to happen, now, since I am single and 54, but it was not my beliefs that caused it, it was the continually experience of being bullied that have lead to my personal unattractiveness that has left me alone all these years.
haleybugs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 04:47:05 PM »

Is it safe to say that our beliefs are our reality?If we change our beliefs do we change our reality?
gregms

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 03:48:19 AM »

Maybe this is just a belief of mine, but I was giving this matter some thought a little while ago and it occurred to me that this was
the reason why meditation is so important. 

As others have stated above, our beliefs determine how we see the world around us, so if you believe the world is a bad place your
brain will filter out all the good things happening around you and your beliefs will be confirmed.  Similarly if you believe that the
world is fundamentally a good place then that is what you will observe.

maree said she based her beliefs on experiences she had when she was young and then those beliefs determined her
future experiences.  This is what essentially happens to all of us. This is great when everything is going well for us but how do we
get out of this cycle when our life is not going so great?

This is where meditation comes in and why it is so important.  In that beautiful inner silence every possible belief has an
equal potential to exist.  With each meditation we experience these possibilities in a very real way and so our mind begins to
filter out less and less of the information surrounding us and we can begin to make new choices and create new futures.

If you couple creative visualisation with your meditation there is no condition you cannot overcome, I do hope that this gives you hope maree.
Adge747

Health is Your Greatest Wealth.

adge747@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »

I dont think that rich men are kind and generous but I think sometimes there are ones who are just like that maybe..
where  mine beliefs come from?

I dont know it just comes with a life! Smiley
How many poor people are kind and generous, probably none as they can't afford to be. So kindness and generosity has to come from the wealthy and as Mr Wattles says in his excellent book "The best thing we can do for poor people is to not be one of them"!

http://www.healthyanswers.co.uk
Health is Your Greatest Wealth!
Take care of it.
AiRob

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 12:24:30 PM »

It does. But we should always stick to the positive belief for ourselves to grow. I guess the law of attraction can be applied on this too.

Herniated disc back surgery
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:09:36 PM by AiRob » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: