Self-Development Forum
September 21, 2019, 02:17:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TIP! Shrink this header down to the logo by clicking the minus sign image (top right).

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Polyphasic sleep - what is it?  (Read 4033 times)
oneiroPilot

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2007, 08:46:59 AM »

Hi there,

I have come across this topic of "Polyphasic sleep". I am confused at the information available on the web. Exactly what is polyphasic sleep, and how can it help me in dreaming lucidly?

cave_man

Still in the cave! :)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 10:46:07 AM »

Hi oneiroPilot,

I had attended a seminar the other day - seems polyphasic sleep is something that the astronauts are practising while up in space.

It is spreading out sleep into 20 to 40 minutes of naps throughout the day, rather than a single-block of sleep for seven to nine hours. The speaker said that after you have mastered it, you only get to sleep in the "REM stage" - which is where the body generates its growth hormones or whatever.

Beats me. Why should anyone break one's natural rhythm to acheive something of slight incremental benefit?

Everyone has their own self-development path laid out before them, i say! Grin Cheesy

Hypocrisy. Oneupmanship. Superiority Complex. That indulgent smile. Oh, How Much I Hate All These In You!!!
kimball

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 10:07:16 PM »

Hi,

If it is of any help to you, there' sthis 1992 book by Stampi - "Why We Nap: Evolution, Chronobiology, and Functions of Polyphasic and Ultrashort Sleep". http://www.getcited.org/pub/102993489

Kimball
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: