Self-Development Forum
December 15, 2017, 04:28:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TIP! Shrink this header down to the logo by clicking the minus sign image (top right).

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between Lucid Dreaming and OBE?  (Read 15692 times)
dreamer

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2006, 04:52:25 AM »

I know this topic surfaces everynow and then with unfailing regularity in umpteen forums and articles - but I am still not satisfed with the answeres I get to this question.

I had what I feel was a lucid dream last night. I dreamt that while my friends were travelling in a plush four-wheeler; i was riding a bicycle, or simply running to keep up. I realized that this was not correct. Why was I acting poor? I changed the sequence, and immedaitely I was driving a car myself.

Which brings me back to the question: what is the difference between lucid dreaming and obe? when does lucid dream become an obe?

norfolk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 01:06:53 AM »

Hi dreamer,

Can't say whether i had any obe or not, but I have started having lucid dreams in the past two weeks or so. At least, I have begun to become aware that I am dreaming, when earlier, i couldn't recall any dreams after waking up.

I am usin gthe Audio CD that comes along with the lucid dreaming kit.

- Norfolk
Pat64

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 07:30:55 PM »

Hi Dreamer,
   Since you haven't gotten any good responses yet, I thought I'd give it a try.  I am not totally happy with my understanding of it and would like to get input from others also.
   For starters, our "minds" are a combination of our physical brains, and the spirit that we were before being born, and will be again after we die.  The spirit may also be some combination of a soul and a psychic body - which is similar to our physical body, but on a higher plane and without the physical limitations of our physical bodies.  Our spirits are joined with our bodies on the earth plane while we are functioning here - after physical death they are free to ascend to the Other Side (i.e. going through the tunnel towards the Light and reuniting with our deceased loved ones, etc.).  If our spirits don't want to leave here, they are earth-bound as ghosts.  Not sure how many levels there are - i.e. us, ghosts, visiting spirits from the Other Side, psychic bodies of the still living, etc.  Not all of these are able to see and communicate with eachother.
   Our minds are wired for dreaming.  While conscious, we daydream - creating events and having experiences that are not 'real'.  While asleep, our brains carry on this process under the subconscious control of our brains, and maybe some input from our spirits, and use a lot of symbolism that is more easily communicated between the two than words would be.  The spirit knows MUCH more than the brain, but our conscious minds are usually limited by whatever has been processed into the brain.  There are several types of dreams and so it is not easy to say where the 'theme' for the dream is coming from. 
   A whole different situation is the OBE where the psychic body separates from the physical body (but still attached by the infinitely stretchable 'silver cord').  Even when people are sedated to the point of no brain wave activity, they are still able to have totally conscious experiences through the psychic body.  Unfortunately, since the brain is not involved in this,  when we 'wake up' we may not remember it at all.  When we do remember some of this, I believe it is due to a transfer of information during the waking up time when the psychic body is reuniting with the body (and brain). 
   People who are 'psychic' may be able to consciously see physically and psychically at the same time, and project their consciousness (via the psychic body?) to another place or time while still aware of their present situation.  There are many different psychic abilities, and levels of abilities. 
   Where lucid dreaming fits into this is a little confusing.  The sleeping brain is happily churning out dreams for whatever reason (depending on the 'type' of dream it is), and we try to get our conscious mind to take over, but without becoming totally conscious and therefore stopping the dream.  To me this seems similiar to where people are while they are hypnotized - they have overall conscious control, but the things that they are experiencing are continuing on their own to some degree.  The hypnotist may actually be directing the brain of the person the same way the lucid dreamer is consciously directing some level of their own mind.
   Can lucid dreaming lead to an OBE?  To me it seems possible if the psychic body (and its 'brain') take over, and decide to leave the physical brain and go elsewhere. 
   My current belief is that the only time we remember any of the sleep related activities is when the physical brain is waking up at the same time that the other activity is going on.  If the dream, or lucid dream, or OBE finish while the brain remains asleep, the next day we will never know it happened.  All of us may be experiencing these every night without knowing it.  This is the principle some of the devices seem to be working on. 
   Without turning this into a book, it appears that there are many levels of things going on here, and many different things at each level.  It is too complicated to give a simple answer, except for one isolated case at a time.
  Like you, I have run into a lot of confusion reading other articles and advertisements.  Every time I think I have found a book that will give the answers, it merely tells how the authors found they could accomplish something using some process or device.  They have no idea why it actually works!  But if you find a tool you don't understand at all, but figure out how to use it, why NOT use it anyway?  How many car drivers can explain how their engines work?  I am a very analytical person (surprise!) and not knowing how something works drives me up the wall (I DO know how a car engine, TV, computer CPU, etc work).  So ..... if anybody out there can fill in some of the blanks or offer some new insights, I would appreciate it.
Pat64
MatthewRoberts

InspirationToAchieve.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 01:40:02 AM »

I understand the difference between the two, but how are you supposed to know which is which?

Isn't it entirely possible for you to dream of having an OBE? Or have a lucid dream that is so clear that it feels like the real world? So how are you supposed to know if you are just lucid dreaming, or if something more is going on?

BTW, I haven't experienced an OBE or a lucid dream, so my understanding of either is limited.

crytals

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 07:51:37 PM »

Hi

I have had both, There is a difference in my experiences

When I was out of body, There was always a process, Like I would wake up and find myself once floating in my bedroom, Once I woked up to thunder strong wind sounds at the top of my head right before leaving my body. A couple times I heard bells and chimes sounds and just rolled out which feels so good. a couple times i just sit up in my body and stepped out.

When I have had lucid dreaming I was always in a dream and become aware while dreaing that I was dreaming. This is the way it usually always happen you just become aware that you are dreaming and go from there. Hey I am dreaming is what I always say when I am aware lol.
acillis

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 06:53:26 PM »

pretty much a lucid dream is your own virtual reality.
in the case of a obe
when in the stage of astral catalepsy <aka sleep paralysis>
your astral body disconnects from your physical body, thus allowing you to roll/sit/float out of your body.
its interesting. but some people dont even believe a obe is possible. they believe its just a more intense lucid dream. but i believe in obes for sure!
i notice not alot of people use the term astral projection anymore Sad but oh well.
though some people beleive that when you are lucid, your astral traveling. it does get a little confuseing doesnt it? with so much misinformation.
keep your research up. and u'll be ok

With out Darkness there can be no Light
myfantasia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 01:09:51 AM »

Hi

I have had both, There is a difference in my experiences

When I was out of body, There was always a process, Like I would wake up and find myself once floating in my bedroom, Once I woked up to thunder strong wind sounds at the top of my head right before leaving my body. A couple times I heard bells and chimes sounds and just rolled out which feels so good. a couple times i just sit up in my body and stepped out.

How did you make(if you did) yourself go astral  Huh
Philip

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 11:09:14 PM »

In a nutshel the only difference between the two, Is that your aware of the process verses, not being aware of it. I hope that clears up the whole difference between the two. I have had them since early childhood. with no one to relate them too, or discuss them with. As you can imagine with society being the way it was and still is. This process can be very difficult to talk about with others.
myfantasia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 12:21:11 AM »

That is what I like about this forum. Can talk about things that most people would think we are nut, (my family included)
TomSKinney
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 12:47:16 AM »

That is what I like about this forum. Can talk about things that most people would think we are nut, (my family included)

Absolutely, yes. You will see frequent examples of the same as you go through the threads.
Philip

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 03:14:14 AM »

The major difficulty that I now experience is trying to find the right words, to describe something, that is very difficult to do. Its like explaining to a layman a new trade, something he has no idea about. even when someone is fully aware, it gets difficult to get some of these things across, I could show a complete mind telepathy, like a movie, and still get missunderstood. I could make it so easy for a innocent child to understand, yet a grown up would miss it entirely. This is where my difficulties come in. For some reason everythings not coming through. Or it is and everyone who is getting it, so to speak, understands it differently. Thus the confusion.
myfantasia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 05:21:55 PM »

Did you always do it or was it something that you had to learn. How easy is it for you to do. And any interesting stories to share. I' all eyes Shocked
Philip

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 07:00:03 PM »

It is something that I have been able to do, for as long as I remember. I see alot of todays movies, like "Taken" and a few others that have come from these experiences. I recently had a dream of the biginning. before there was light. I was aware of others in this dream yet I couldn't make them out, because I was focused on what was being done, from at least two different points of veiw. This gets rather confusing as well. It is also something that has happened to me while awake, and can be very disorienting.
myfantasia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 11:07:42 PM »

I wish I was able to do these things, if you could control what you were doing or where you were going and of course when you were headed it would be even more amazing
Philip

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 09:42:26 PM »

I have found a web site that may or may not help with things. http://www.greatdreams.com/vision1.htm, I stumbled upon it, while doing some language, and symbol research, on wikapedia. Its weird sometimes how the needed information, just falls into your lap. The only problem with that is, weather or not one can handle this information. It would be like wishing for an apple and getting an orange instead. You get what you need but not what you want. It's not always easy to reconize that. Thats why we have to continue to repeat what is trying to be said sometimes, or find new ways to convey the message. This can be really frustrating at times. And people tend to think your speaking in riddles and rhymes. When your saying it so plainly, in your eyes and ears. Yet even Jesus had difficulty with it, and often times had to explain it to his apostiles after he preached his sermons. This goes to note that if you where ment to understand it you would.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: