Self-Development Forum
December 12, 2017, 08:24:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TIP! Shrink this header down to the logo by clicking the minus sign image (top right).

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The quotes or jokes thread  (Read 33410 times)
Trytolearnmore

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 11:31:21 PM »

Multi multa; nemo omnio novit - A lot knows a lot; everything knows nobody

Miss Lara

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »

LOL...

wonderful quotes. I love Stephen Wright... thanks for kicking off my day with some of his stuff!

Here is one I recently came across by Og Mandino:

I will act now. I will act now. I will act now. Henceforth, I will repeat these words each hour, each day, everyday, until the words become as much a habit as my breathing, and the action which follows becomes as instinctive as the blinking of my eyelids. With these words I can condition my mind to perform every action necessary for my success. I will act now. I will repeat these words again and again and again. I will walk where failures fear to walk. I will work when failures seek rest. I will act now for now is all I have. Tomorrow is the day reserved for the labor of the lazy. I am not lazy. Tomorrow is the day when the failure will succeed. I am not a failure. I will act now. Success will not wait. If I delay, success will become wed to another and lost to me forever. This is the time. This is the place. I am the person.

Now, I am going to act on a cup of coffee...

Blessings,
Lara

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

http://www.cagefreeliving.com
http://www.cagefreeliving.com/blog
admin plant

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 04:10:37 PM »

Mind like parachute. Only function when open.
Charlie Chan
MaxBax

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 11:20:30 PM »

Hi everybody!

Enjoyed reading the posted quotes. Here´s one of my favorites:

nur wer sich ändert, bleibt sich treu. Which translates to:
whoever changes, stays true to themselves.

that one was by Wolf Biermann an singer, songwriter and dissident from the former East Germany.
admin plant

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »

Enlightenment means to have a mind that is open to everything, but attached to nothing.
Tilopa

KathyD
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 10:49:15 PM »

I'm quite fond of this:

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade.  It makes the hand bleed that uses it.  ~ Rabindranath Tagore ~

KathyD   Smiley

Jonny

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 07:49:10 PM »

33 - Everyone has a photographic memory; some just don't have film.
Any idea where I can get some? Tongue

Wisdom speaks, Knowledge listens.
True knowledge is knowing you know nothing at all.

I sometimes create soem and put them as my MSN personal message, my current one is: Find your happy place, but don't let anyone intrude.   
one I made up on the spot:
When you ask for help, and don't get it, open your mouth and speak, because no-one knows what you want without any hint from you, because no-one, not even you know your full potential until you get up off your backside and do what needs to be done.
Basically, you have to tell people what you want, express your feelings and do the same in return, listen to what people say: you think you can't do something, you blame it on their not being enough stuff, I.E. if you want to read faster, read a dictionary, realise you need to improve your concentration, and then read a hard book in a well-lit room while focused, not nervous, agitated or feeling down, unless it's a horror novel. Tongue   Also, you don't know what you can do until you stop making excuses, get it over and done with with your mind ON the task Tongue

I got a bumper book of useless information a few Christmas's ago, it was fun to read, can't find it so I'll make up another quote of my own: "Your life is your life, others may influence it, but you have the final say" so do what YOU want to do, but no-one can wait forever, not even you...
MaxBax

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 12:23:43 AM »

Hi everybody!

Here´s one I recently read at the beginning of chapter one of the book "Spent" by Frank Lipman, M.D. He kicks it off with this goodie:

"The real voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes". Marcel Proust

I like to collect quotes that appeal to me so if you got em send em.

Thanks in advance for your overwhelming response.

Wish you all many happy voyages; interesting challenging and exciting experiences, numerous growth and learning opportunities and  a hell of a good time with it all.

from,
Max Bax-somewhere over the rainbow
Jonny

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 05:36:12 PM »

"It's the journey that's important, not the destination", sure you could just go straight to point B in a plane in cloudy weather, but if you walk the path, you can see everything around you, take in the sights and see whats wrong, but mainly right with the world, "Without looking, you can not see", or "if you look for one thing"1, even if you don't know if it's there, "everything else will be oblivious to you"1. XD
admin plant

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 03:53:46 PM »

Salman Rushdie is coming out with a sequel to his book, 'Satanic Verses'. He's decided to name it, 'Buddha, You Big Fat B*****d'.
Tess
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 11:11:13 PM »

Enlightenment means to have a mind that is open to everything, but attached to nothing.
Tilopa

Enlightenment is no mind
admin plant

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 05:28:34 PM »

Life is in the 'BEING' -- Not in the 'DOING'
Tess
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 11:51:48 PM »

Yes it is Admin
Rangeswar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 02:39:26 PM »

hey, there are some really good quotes here folks. my contribution is:

it's better to live in the 'now' than to fear ahead [with due consideration of consequences] 
KathyD
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 11:23:25 PM »

If we aren't being formal, here's another favorite:

"In victory, you deserve Champagne.  In defeat, you need it."

~Napoleon Bonaparte~

Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: