Self-Development Forum
September 24, 2017, 08:29:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TIP! Shrink this header down to the logo by clicking the minus sign image (top right).

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help please I think I got scammed  (Read 8324 times)
Hek

View Profile Email
« on: February 20, 2009, 04:03:03 PM »

Hello everyone the reason why am writing today is because I ordered an iphone from the UK and I made the payment through western union and now all of sudden am told I have to pay extra beacuse the phones are being held at customs. The provider also states that they had shipped 6 phones , so now mobile warehouse(provider) tells me that I need to send the money through western union to another persons name so they can release the tracking #, I asked for a bank account but no luck there so right now am not sure weather to deposit the rest of the money 250 usd for the customs people or call it a day and say I learned my lesson please all opinions are welcome, heres the last email they sent me. They tell me that I can receive the 6 phones and just pay them later. Also I put a conversation I had with the sales person.

We are having problem with custom dues to this we are unable to ship a single Units of Apple iPhone 3G 16GB to you,

Ether we ship 6 Units to you, your order shipping tracking number is with the custom office,

Dues to this the you are to make the payment of $250 for the activation of your shipping tracking number,

The total amount you will be sending now is $250 so you can get the delivery of 6 iPhone 3G 16GB,
and at the delivery of the packages you will balance us $750

Failure not to make the payment of $250 today the packages will not be fully delivery to you,

Note: This is from the General Sales Manager's table,

We awaits your soonest reply.

Thanks.

crista dice:
 when you make the payment let me have the MTCN NUMBER
 i will be right back
 i have to make some packages right now
 are you there
Cotizaciones al instante en RIPSA dice:
 Hey u there? I had to help my boss with some stuff
crista dice:
 ok
 ok i will deposit the 250
 u sent me 6 phones?
crista dice:
 yes
 hey whats the name of the customs agency that has it?
crista dice:
 just make the payment to Richard mike
 they will fixed the problem and activate the shipping tracking number
 if he is with custome he should have an account
 I will transfer the funds
crista dice:
 it is through western union
 the recieved account name is Richard mike
 why doesnt he have a bannk account
 if he is with customs he should be able to accept transfers
crista dice:
 dey do not
 and why dont u give me the name of the customs agency
crista dice:
 that is the name you will send the payment to
 I want the name of the customs agency
crista dice:
 you have it already
 and i will see if they have an account to accept a transfer
crista dice:
 they don't accept transfer
 i was intrusted that the payment details has to be received through western union
 I dont want 6 i only want oneeeeeee
 why did u lie to me
 u didnt tell me about customs
 and now ur trying to make me pay 750 dollars I dont have that kind of money
crista dice:
 you are only paying 250 now
 so when you get the package you will send us the balance
 u didnt tell me that u couldnt ship one phone
crista dice:
 i never know this will happen
 it is from the stock kipper
 crista what do u think I should do
 what would u do in my situation?
crista dice:
 don't worry
 when you get the iPhone you can sell them
 before 2 week
 then you will send the balance
 that sounds fair
 but I think thats too much money
crista dice:
 how much is that
 How can I be refunded?
crista dice:
 we have already paid for the shipment
 and vat
 and now the packages has been bill in custom
 the best way you make the 250 so they can ship the packages to you
 ok I will think about it
 if I dont make the payment today I will not recieve anythng?
 is that how it works
crista dice:
 you have to make the payment today
 try
 ok

TomSKinney
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »

To put it bluntly, yes, I think you have been scammed. You should not have to pay the customs office to release a package you purchased, to begin with, and the spelling and grammar of the letter are terrible. It was not written by someone who speaks english as a first language and you ordered from the UK? Also, it seems to be implying that the $250 will bring the total up to $750 for 6 iPhones and that only $500 of that is payment for the phones themselves. Even buying them used from AT&T would cost at least $199 each. Unless you are buying them in such a way that you can use them through another phone service, I think you are still required to get service through AT&T anyway and you save money by buying the phone and signing the contract at the same time. I think you should call Western Union immediately, report them for fraud, and try to get your money back.

By Mail

Customer Service in English:

Western Union Financial Services, Inc.

P.O. Box 4430

Bridgeton, MO 63044

Customer Service in Spanish:

Western Union Financial Services, Inc.

P.O. Box 130780

Dallas, TX 75313

By Phone

Customer Service in English -- 1-800-325-6000

Servicio de Cliente en Español -- 1-800-325-4045

Find an Agent location -- 1-800-325-6000

Quick Collect® Customer Service -- 1-800-238-5772

Western Union® Money OrderSM -- 1-800-999-9660

Western Union Gold Card -- 1-888-628-8862

Western Union Gold Card Rewards Program -- 1-877-984-0469

Report a lost or stolen Prepaid MasterCard -- 1-866-737-4949

Change your Prepaid MasterCard PIN* -- 1-866-737-4949

*The first PIN selection is done at no cost. There is a $1.00 fee for future PIN changes.

Business Contact Information

Money Transfer Agent

To become a Western Union Agent, call us at 1-800-325-6000 or contact us using the form above.

Learn more

Our Affiliate Program

If you own a website and are interested in advertising Western Union online services and earning referral fees, learn more about the westernunion.com Affiliate Program.

Or write to us at:

Western Union Affiliate Program

P.O. Box 6992, M/S M22A2

Greenwood Village, CO 80155-6992

Corporate Contact Information

Corporate Headquarters
PO Box 6992
+1-720-332-1000

Media Relations
PO Box 6992
+1-720-332-1000, press "5"

Investor Relations
PO Box 6992
866-405-5012
stanpontiere

With 1st grandchild-Nina. My son's wife had a boy

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 02:54:40 PM »

It is possible that your phones could be held by US Customs. Any commercial import must pay duties. However, if that were the case, you would only be contacted directly by the Customs office. If they have provided a tracking number, you can easily contact Customs directly and see if they have a package on hold for you.  In any case do not send any money to any third party. From what I read, I agree with TomSKinney that you should contact the fraud department at Western Union. If you have any question as to why you should listen to me, I am a former manager with the US Postal Service. BTW-if any of the transactions have gone through the USPS, contact the Postal Inspectors office.

To The Evolution of Consciousness
Stan
http://www.wealthbyaffirmation.com/
http://wealthsuccessreviews.com
stanpontiere@internetbizops.ws
Skype me: wealthaffirmations
TomSKinney
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 04:06:33 PM »

That was part of the problem. Supposedly Customs won't give the people who sent the phones a tracking number until they get $250, and Customs won't take the money except through them. The original deal was $500 for a 16 GB iPhone. The only way a phone like that could be worth so much money is if it is one of those phones that has been hacked to work with services other than through AT&T. Then it became 6 iPhones for $500, which is even less believable, and the $250 to be forwarded to Customs. It just sounds too much like a traditional scam to me where they make an offer that is too good to be true and then they keep changing the terms after the deal is made. If nothing else there should already be a tracking number given to you to show that the package has shipped, even if they can't give you a tracking number for Customs yet. There should be some kind of paper trail already in place and you have seen no evidence that anything has been sent anywhere. Even if I go to the post office and mail a letter I can get a receipt for postage paid on a certain date.
ShiftHappens

Bali - The Old Fisherman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 09:22:12 PM »

Unfortunately the first clue is, "wiring money via Western Union." From my own experience I suggest to anyone in a situation dealing with unknown people at the other end asking you to wire money via Western Union, no matter how good the deal sounds . . .  DON'T. Western Union does not track or deem themselves responsible for any transaction where you wire money. The scammer knows this and thus use them 99% of the time to get your money. With a bank check you can 'stop payment'. With Western Union, once the money is wired you're on your own and you lose. Cry

"When the student is ready . . . the teacher will appear" - The Buddha
ChrisN

mmorpgkid@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 03:52:51 AM »

Based on her not being willing to tell you the customs which has your iphone (s), it does seem to be quite a scam style method. How much have you already put down on the phones?

If its only $50 or $100, it may be best to avoid the whole thing and contact your local authorities, internet crime division to investigate the matter further.

It's not worth risking $1000 in future payments for a slight chance of receiving what is made out to be a shipment of iphones. Have you done any internet searches to find if anyone has dealt with the same problem?

My blog has just had a facelift Smiley Same old site, brand new look. Visit today!
Self Help and Development

I recommend Self Esteem Secrets!!!
Self Esteem Secrets
forjo

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 10:07:46 PM »

I've dealt with many suppliers in my life...
Normally the company shipping will deal with customs for personnal purchases, unless you are a company and have a customs broker or if stated otherwise such as shipping and customs charges extra.  You've  been scammed.  You could Cancel your transaction with the company you dealt with, call Western Union, give them the transaction number if you have one.  And call the authorities so that this does not happen to anyone else.  They can trace transactions.  A company should be receiving the funds when dealing with a company.  Not a person's name.   If you have a company name on billing the payment should be made to a company with a registered name or a corporation, and they deal with customs.  Your conversation with this person seems very unprofessionnal for a company.  Their billing should include all charges from the beginning.  I doubt you will even receive one phone. A company would try to solve the problem for you by contacting customs and dealing with it.
Alexandra18

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 11:27:44 AM »

To put it bluntly, yes, I think you have been scammed. You should not have to pay the customs office to release a package you purchased, even I am also selling Mobile online but I don't have to pay any extra money for it, I prefer only prepaymania to buy any mobile in UK.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: