Self-Development Forum
May 17, 2022, 01:31:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TIP! Shrink this header down to the logo by clicking the minus sign image (top right).

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Subliminal Audio-A Subliminal Waste of Money  (Read 101685 times)
stanpontiere

With 1st grandchild-Nina. My son's wife had a boy

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 05, 2008, 06:07:32 AM »

When it comes to wasting your money, subliminal audios top the list. Don't get me wrong. Visual subliminal messages (video, film and computer programs) have been proven to work. Although, I am not sure of how effective. Subliminal audios, on the other hand, have been proven time and time again to be totally worthless. If you have had any luck with subliminal audios, it is nothing more than a placebo effect. Bottom line-Don't waste your money on audio subliminal products.

For example, in a study conducted by the University of California, Santa Cruz-237 volunteers listened to 3 different sets of top-line subliminal esteem audios for a 30 day period. The conclusion of the study was that the audios had absolutely no effect on the subjects, whatsoever.

In addition, Mike Brescia of Think Right Now had done substantial research on subliminal audios and has come to the same conclusion-they are simply a waste of money and time. Although he has found numerous reasons why subliminal audios don't work, he states 3 primary reasons for their ineffectiveness. According to Brescia:

Reason #1 that subliminal tapes are trash:

Your ears don't hear any words. You heard it right race fans. It is impossible to be influenced by words that you can't hear that are "hidden" beneath music or ocean waves. I spent years testing the hearing of people from elementary school age all the way up to 100+ and I can say with 100% certainty, that when background (and especially loud foreground) noise, no matter what the noise is, is present, it makes understanding language more difficult.

Reason #2 that subliminal tapes are trash:

Improperly worded statements. Over the years, I've called a number of companies that sell subliminal tapes and requested the supposed scripts that were "recorded and embedded beneath the music." Only a few companies would actually disclose their scripts to buyers. And the ones that did send them showed that they know less than nothing about how the mind accepts and rejects information. It's scary. But it didn't matter because no one who listened to their tapes couldn't actually hear any of their harmful words anyhow.

Reason #3 that subliminal tapes are trash:

Inadequate Playback Equipment. Even if a person could hear words underneath music or ocean waves (and we can't), it would take extremely sophisticated playback equipment with the music delivered right in your ears, not from speakers positioned 2, 10 or 20 feet or more away. Sound is vibration. And sound vibrations are made smaller as you get farther from the sound source. So in the case of subliminal tapes/CDs, if you could hear words beneath the music/ocean sounds (and you cannot), you would have to have headphones on.

I hope this sheds some light on this confusing topic. There are more reasons and much more to be said on the topic, but there you have three very sound reasons... good ones why you should never consider buying any kind of subliminal audio tape or CD.

The preceding comments were given with written permission of Mike Brescia of Think Right Now.

If you have any lingering doubts that subliminal audios are worthless, there is a ton of information and research available on the internet. Wikipeida is a good starting point if you want to research this on your own.

There are many excellent methods in making changes in your subconscious beliefs. Unfortunately, this is not one of them.

To The Evolution of Consciousness
Stan
http://www.wealthbyaffirmation.com/
http://wealthsuccessreviews.com
stanpontiere@internetbizops.ws
Skype me: wealthaffirmations
TomSKinney
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 06:15:03 AM »

To me it seems to vary by brand. I found one that worked for me as promised and the rest was crap.
stanpontiere

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 05:44:06 PM »

As I used to work in a noisy environment (Vietnam 66 & 67) none of them are going to do much for me. I have been using a sublim computer program and I think that it may have some effect. However, from my research,  to be effective the messages should be very short-3 to 4 words at most.  The messages that came with the program were complete 3 or 4 line sentences and I don't think they are effective.  I have written my own affirmations of no more than 4 words and they seem to be working.

Stan
BrendaF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 04:59:20 AM »

I have used subliminal's for many years, and I disagree that they are a waste of time and money. There are 5 people living in our house, and without saying which audios are playing, I can see a difference in the people around me. One of the main ones I use is Calming and Understanding which is especially useful during stressful times.
stanpontiere

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »

I can easily understand how a subliminal tape would have a calming effect. You are still not getting the subliminal effect but are being put into an alpha mind state. That is simply the music or tones that are designed to bring about an alpha state.  In the alpha state, your mind generally has greater creativity, access to subconscious thought and the alpha state is a much more meditative state (ie. calmer). You would do just as well to listen to Bach, Mozart, Gregorian chant or any other 60 beat-per-minute music. It is not the subliminal info because you simply can't hear the message, it is the effect of the music.

Stan
BrendaF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 06:27:52 AM »

Whilst I respect your viewpoint regarding the calming affect of Alpha waves, and I do understand the effect the alpha state has on calming situations and people, can you please explain how there are definite changes to people around me without them knowing which program I have playing. I just used the calming and relaxation as an example. I have also used weight loss audios with amazing results for people who didn't consciously know what they were "listening" to. I would be interested in your response to this.
stanpontiere

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 02:46:47 PM »

I suspect that the audios that you are using are not true subliminal products. There are a couple of manufacturers of pseudo-subliminal products that do work because the message is actually in the audible range of your hearing. Although the message is audible, it is so quiet that you would have to seriously concentrate to actually hear the message. However, since the message is in the audible range, your subconscious can easily hear and readily integrate the messages into your mind.  True subliminal audios simply do not work but the "barely audible" products can be very effective.

Stan
Sueblue
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 04:46:10 PM »

Research done by the Transparent Corp. seems to validate what you say, Stan. I've also seen a similar opinion posted by Steve Gillman, who sends out the Brainpower newsletters. I suppose it really doesn't make sense, either psychologically or physiologically, that the subconscious can hear sounds which the conscious mind cannot. When I experimented with subliminal recordings several years ago, the authors guaranteed results. So when after several months' use I noticed no change, I sent the tapes back for a refund. I received a very polite letter back saying that "a small number" of people receive no benefit from this technology and that I must be subconsciously rejecting the changes.

By the way, I really liked the product reviews on your Over the Rainbow site.
blablabla2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 03:42:26 PM »

Yup I agree with stanpontiere. Because there is a possibility that the audios that was bought was not true subliminal products.

BrendaF

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 11:26:41 PM »

My criteria is if it works - use it. I am not really that concerned whether it is a true subliminal or not. Speak to people who are currently using the range of products you are investigating, and see their reaction to them. By the way, I am not promoting any particular products, and I never dismiss other people's work. Some modalities may not always work for me, but if others have the results, that's what I go by.
Sueblue
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 04:42:15 PM »

So, if subliminal audio is hit-and-miss at best, then what about visual subliminals, e.g. software that flashes messages on your screen for a split second?

(Reminder to self: find and read that book "Hidden Persuaders"!)
stanpontiere

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 07:03:34 PM »

Unfortunately, the testing on visual subliminal products is somewhat limited. What testing that was done was on one or 2 word messages and they did prove to have some positive effects. However, complete thoughts and larger phrases have not (to my knowledge) been tested. It appears that they may be effective but, there are no independent 3rd party studies going on at this time. I personally use one of the computer programs but, I can't really tell if it is having any effect or not.  If anyone knows of any serious studies (ones not done by the manufacturers) please let me know. I would like to follow it up.

Stan
kimball

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 03:33:30 AM »

Hi everyone,

One point that strikes me about subliminal audio is: if this is a placebo effect, and people are getting cured because of the placebo effect, then should people be asked to stop using the audios? The whole point about using some tool --- is to cure.

There are quite a number of doctors out there who routinely prescribe, for different medical conditions, tablets that are just common salt that you find on the kitchen table. And people are cured by taking these "tablets".

I am not saying that false claims should be accepted. While the debate on whether subliminal audio is truly effective or not may be open, the point is that somebody is getting cured. Which is what matters, ultimately.

Kimball
stanpontiere

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 09:19:13 AM »

To me, if it works, use it-placebo or not. Even if the subliminal message is not working, these tapes do use background music and sounds which do produce an alpha brainwave state which has some highly positive effects.
In addition, it may not be a true subliminal recording. I am testing a product right now that they call subliminal and have serious testing to prove that their system works. The thing that I found with these recordings was that the message although very quiet was well within the normal human hearing range. Not a true subliminal but they are effective.

Stan
Sueblue
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 10:38:02 AM »

So, there appears to be available:

1) Silent sound = High pitched beyond the range of human hearing. Placebo effect/relaxation from the music only.
2) Affirmations totally encoded into the background music = inaudible. Placebo effect/relaxation from the music only.
3) Affirmations barely audible. Can be effective.
4) "Hybrid" recordings which include either 1) or 2) above, plus the same affirmations also repeated aloud. Effective only because the audible version has also been included.

I have no experience of silent sounds, however I have tried all the rest and unfortunately they had no effect whatsoever. In all honesty, I've had more success with practices that dug down into what was underlying the unwanted behaviours, rather than papering over the cracks with affirmations.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: