Self-Development Forum
November 22, 2017, 08:06:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TIP! Shrink this header down to the logo by clicking the minus sign image (top right).

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: can someone explain this pleaes?  (Read 112362 times)
swamibodhananda

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2006, 03:27:43 PM »

So exactly what exactly is lucid dreaming? How is it different from the normal dreaming that I have everytime I go to sleep?

I will appreciate knowing the theory bheind this kind of dreaming.

SB.
TomSKinney
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 05:11:04 PM »

Out of curiosity, how did you gain the title Swami without knowing that lucid dreaming refers to being aware that you are dreaming while still in the dream, as opposed to waking up from the dream and realizing then that you had been dreaming? As for some theory, Stephen LaBerge was one of the people who researched lucid dreaming using an EEG. He used pre-arranged eye movements to signal from his lucid dreams that he was lucid and dreaming.
swamibodhananda

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 03:15:21 AM »

The title of 'swami' is not my chioce. Even name is not mine. Both were given me by Guru, after I finishd my "deeksha" under him.

lucid dreaming, I am not very familiar with western words ... it is only after posting my lst messaeg here, i read on this lucid at other places on th e net.

Despit the tittel, I am humble enuf to learn more. would be glad to know more about it.

SB
swamibodhananda

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 03:18:40 AM »

I come to this forum because i like the messages posted here. I feel one with this comunity. It is a good feeling.
TomSKinney
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 04:37:28 AM »

The usual technique for causing lucid dreaming is to get in the habit of asking yourself if you are awake or if you are dreaming several times every day until it becomes such a habit that you find yourself asking in a dream if it is a dream. The next step is reality testing, which has a lot of options. Anything which you can do in a dream but not while awake in regular life will do perfectly. Then there are things which are harder to do in dreams such as reading a paragraph and looking away and re-reading it. The text tends to change for most people. Neither of these works for me because I tend to always conclude I am awake. Instead to have lucid dreams I tend to cultivate an awareness of being present and aware of my environment. Normally there is a tendency to get carried away by the momentum of events.

Have you read "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramhansa Yogananda? The titlle Paramahansa normally has 5 A's, but he spelled it differently to make it easier for english speakers to say correctly. Between him and his student Swami Kriyananda that is all I know about the title Swami. I thought it was given at the point when a person is ready to teach.

Also on the subject of lucid dreaming, if you put a large quantity of the herb mugwort in a pouch under your pillow it is supposed to make your dreaming more vivid and intense. the crystal herkimer diamond, which is actually a form of quartz that is naturally double-terminated, is also good for this purpose.
jedi091

Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 07:47:08 AM »

Hey Tom,

Where can one get this herb mugwort? And the crystal herkimer diamond? Are they expensive?

Ta da

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
TomSKinney
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 05:53:37 PM »

The nice thing about living in Iowa City is that I can get both at the local new age store. I'm not too sure about mugwort, though, because it isn't always in stock. The trouble with mugwort is that it affects everyone close enough to smell it, so if you are married you might not want the mugwort anyway either. I'm not sure where to go for mugwort online, but the best place I have seen for herkimer diamonds is http://www.herkimercrystalsonline.com/
swamibodhananda

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 04:13:07 AM »

I wish there were soem online mapping between Western words and their sanskrit equivlent. Is there any site where I can visually see this mugwort and herkimer diamond, Tom? I have an idea what you are talkin about, but I can verfiy it after seeing it.

SB
violinm9

violinm9
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 06:30:25 PM »

Is lucid dreaming visualization?   Is it just synonymous with visualization?

Just wondering.

swamibodhananda

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 01:33:43 PM »

Hello Martha,

No, lucid dreaming is a kind of dreaming which you do when you are asleep. Visualiaztion is what you do in your wakfeul state.

When you are asleep and dream on, usually you are a witness to the sequnce - like watching a movie. When you become awaer that you are in a dream, then the dream becomes lucid. After becomign awaer, you have two optoins: one, continue watching whre the dream takes you. Or two, take active control over where you want the dream to flow.

Hope that helps,
Sb
Nickolove

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 02:01:15 PM »

Hi,

By sheer coincidence my last blog entry is about a lucid dream I had.

The entry is called "Facing Up to Your Fears" and it illustrates in a practical way
just how lucid dreaming works.

Do check it out.  I think it might help answer your question.

Sweet dreams!

Nickolove Lovemore
Life & Success Coach, Skyline Coaching
http://www.SkylineCoaching.blogspot.com
violinm9

violinm9
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 04:36:39 PM »

Thank you, Nick and Swami.  I am clearer on what lucid dreaming is now.  I can't imagine how I would do it, but anything's possible.

Martha
acillis

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 09:13:03 PM »

A lucid dream is:

your dreaming self is doing whatever its doing, then something so odd will happen. you start to question it.
awareness starts to become active in the dreamer.
consciousness starts to become awake, then comes the profound revelation and the knowledge of the fact, your within a dream! Roll Eyes

With out Darkness there can be no Light
myfantasia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 12:38:13 AM »

What is the purpose of lucid dreaming. Huh How does it benefit us differently than a normal dream.  I remember having dreams where I knew I was dreaming but didn't think much of it.
kimboy

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 06:47:59 AM »

I wish there were soem online mapping between Western words and their sanskrit equivlent. Is there any site where I can visually see this mugwort and herkimer diamond, Tom? I have an idea what you are talkin about, but I can verfiy it after seeing it.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: