Self-Development Forum
May 30, 2020, 09:52:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TIP! Shrink this header down to the logo by clicking the minus sign image (top right).

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I've started going to the gym  (Read 5707 times)
Sueblue
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2011, 01:13:49 PM »

I got recommended the book "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips and I've started going to the gym to get in better shape.  www.bodyforlife.com

My first visit was the taster session, where I got shown around what everything does by one of the personal trainers. I've booked in for several sessions with him.

Anyway, I've been another couple of times since, and I'm going several evenings this week after work. After years of saying, "I must do something about my levels of fitness," I'm not going to let life get in the way this time.

I thought that I would be really, really out-of-shape, due to several long spells where I couldn't do much physically because of various health complications. However, Sam the trainer put me on the treadmill and had to turn up the speed and incline several times before my pulse would even start to rise. Somehow, I have kept my hiking legs despite years of unsocial working hours and/or illness preventing any serious training. It's the arms and shoulders that have no strength in them, and I'm not so looking forward to having to work on those tonight.

The most surprising things for me were: (1) Tiredness - I thought exercise was supposed to GIVE you energy, but I've just been exhausted. (2) Hunger - Again, I thought exercise was supposed to decrease appetite, but I've just been eating like a horse. It could be the chronic fatigue fighting back, I suppose, but this time I'm determined to get my fitness levels up to a point where it counterbalances the CFS before I go through another bad patch.
Mag76

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:52:16 PM »

Never read that book ,but I like going on twice a day to the gym,it makes me feel good,of course Im tired bodily but psychical I feel good.
Michael Harris

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 06:17:18 PM »

Well done keep it up and stay focused.

Michael Harris

http://www.facebook.com/michaelharris2012
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:17:54 PM by Michael Harris » Logged
Sueblue
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 03:30:23 PM »

I'm pleased to say that I've kept up my gym routine. August to January - that's five months and counting!

There are a lot of new people in our gym at the moment, who are probably doing the New Year resolution thing. I'm not going to do what most of them will probably do and fall off the program.

Several people have commented that I have lost some of my "spare tyre". I have slowly noticed my physical strength increasing, although the main thing was to increase fitness levels, not specifically to work on muscle power. And I can now run in short bursts, which is something I've never been able to do, although my knees are still giving me a few problems here and there.
Michael Harris

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 12:15:29 PM »

Thanks for sharing your success.

Michael Harris

http://www.fb.com/michaelharris2012
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:42:24 PM by Michael Harris » Logged
Sueblue
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 11:33:32 AM »

Now here is a surprise that has come up as part of my gym routine, and I thought that I would share it here.

My fitness levels had pegged, and I had reached a plateau. The problem seemed to arise from the fact that my legs kept cramping every time I tried to reach beyond my limits on the treadmill, exercise bike or whatever. It was very uncomfortable.

I asked my trainer what he thought, and he asked me to write down everything I was eating over the course of a week. Then he found it - I was deficient in SALT!

We are always told to cut down on salt, and that it's bad for you, etc. etc.  So I thought that as I don't eat processed foods, and eat vegetables without added salt, that I was being really healthy. This is what they don't tell you: if you are very physically active, you play sports or you work out, YOU NEED THE SALT! It gets sweated out and you need to replace it.

I started adding salt to my dinner and IMMEDIATELY my fitness levels started improving again. It's one simple table condiment, but it's the thing that has made the most difference to my fitness and training routine!
Michael Harris

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 02:35:53 PM »

Smiley Great to hear that your fitness levels have increased due to replacements of SALT intake,onwards and fowards Now!!

http://www.facebook.com/michaelharris2012
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:18:10 PM by Michael Harris » Logged
PatriciA_J

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 08:01:07 AM »

Congratulations Sueblue because you had started your exercise routine. About the salt issue, yes I do hear a lot about cutting it but now thank you for sharing your experience. I am now well aware about the needed salt for those who are actively doing a lot of exercises like going to the gym.

Alzheimer's warning signs
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 08:59:40 AM by PatriciA_J » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: